Re: the Atmosphere Machine

>> e) What should we look at for an Atmosphere Machine? (ie. modifying the
>> game based upon a player's reactions - weather, other people, scenery,
>> etc...)

>When you set up a scene, you're looking to set a mood. Is it up-beat or
>down? What are the colors and visual cues that we're goiing to associate
>with that? If we've got a scene that starts down and goes up we might
>start with the lighting in shadow, get a good blue funk going, then move
>the action out into the warm glow of a sunset, get the orange uplifting
>feel.

So, probably the very first thing we would want to worry about would be a
Mood Chart. On the left, a wide range of emotions. On the right, different
colors, objects, and sound (perhaps the only things you can control in a
game environment, any more suggestions) that can cause that emotion.
Perhaps Cause and Uncause?

Good idea, bad idea, why haven't you done one yet?

Then, each setting, scene, person should be defined as a pure/mixture
emotion, and throw that toward the Chart.

>Similarly many movies tie water to some sort of feeling, so we'll (and if
>we're smart we'll do this subtly, the hissing teapot in "Henry & June"
>was conducive mainly to laughter) make sure there are full coffee cups on
>the table when we're discussing shark hunting.

Minute detail which is vitally important to remember - I love it.

------- <http://www.disobey.com/> ----------- ICQ: 2927491 ----

             Here we have One DimensionalMorbus - Flatter than
   _____     Brooke Shields, able to to be ignored for days at
             a time, slower than a Microsoft Slug. Defender of
             AOL users, Bill Gates and other one dimensional
             life forms who mutter "I don't get it..."

-03------------<\/>--------------- Bad Ascii, Short Notice ----