PCs, NPCs and Character Entry/Exit

Hey Guys....

You have covered some deep thoughts.  I figured you may want to hear from a
veteran RPG guy.  First a response to a thread:

>> Perhaps, in any sort of game creation, there must be two trains of
>> people: the people who make the movement of the game, and the people
>> who make the backdrop of the game. The movement is the more important,
>> but the backdrop people flesh out the world in the minutest detail -

"In AD&D the idea of NPC and PC was fleshed out back in the 70's.  PC's were
the player characters and NPC's were the Non-PC's.  Some have more value than
others, but that is designated by plot, level, relevant powers, EXP's, etc.. I
won't rehash that for you. OK.

So there are already these NPC's defined in movies and games.  In movies they
are called extra's.  Even to a certain extent they are the hero's side kick.
In games they are the AI.  I believe that the interaction between the NPC's
and the PC's is as important, and central to the strength of the narrative
plot, as the PC who progresses along the timeline of the world.  In other
words... the PC interacts with the Non-player characters because they are the
reflection of the players world, and how the player interacts with the world
depends on the NPC's reactions.
     So all those random bits of information (the price of lima beans and book
sales in department store windows) all need to be noticed and recorded by the
various NPC's, because eventually someone needs to realize and NOTICE the
player is loitering around the Mall. Maybe an NPC security guard will be the
one who knows more than the collective NPC's~ because he has remote cameras or
something.  That cumulative use of miscelaneous information will make the
virtual world seem real !!!  The Game Master/God (i.e., computer game program)
is supposed to let the NPC's selectively draw upon a Pool (database, whatever)
of information that GOD has observed from the player. Some will know more
"bits about the PC" than the other NPCs.  But that is all dependant on the
structuring of characters and the game environment.   That use of information
will help define how the player character is perceived by the NPCs.  That will
create a loop of interactive reactions, and fill out the narrative world.

My Mantra for the day::: Perception is the basis for role-playing.  Role-
playing is interactive drama.

todd@coyotegrits.com writes:

> Another problem I failed to mention is in a multiplayer environment you have
>  several people online at the same time. What happens when someone leaves
the
>  environment before the story has finished?? Boy did Dan hit me over the
head
>  with that question when I was demanding multiplayer.....

"A classic problem.   In my games I give the player a pre defined exit and
enterance strategy:  A limo pulls up, picks up the player and drives away.  Or
the hero vanishes into their subway train, mixing with the masses of NPC's,
and is not seen again until the next adventure.   This creates only 2 problems
(as I see it), besides the potential for repetitiveness.

1.)  Big problem:  The Player can escape situations by leaving the game (in
the real world walking away from the computer - power outage, etc.).  Hey may
avoid fighting the level boss by simply logging off the game.  How that is
handled is central to the genre. and game mechanics of the world.  Maybe you
have to hide under a tree like in Ultima Online (and be vulnerable for 5
minutes).  Or, maybe you can instantly teleport out (in a Star Trek simulation
this would be acceptable).  It really only depends how the game mechanics deal
with players starting and stoping the game.  Since its interactive
entertainment, it shouldn't be a BIG Technical PROBLEM as much as a narrative
speed bump.

2.) The narrative problem can be a big deal.  imagine someone picking up the
magic potion to save several other players from being poisoned (or even the
magic formula ~ secret pass phrase, intangible McGuffin) and then getting a
call from the persons real world wife.  "Honey, come home NOW!"  The player
bails, leaving everyone hanging, and there isn't any logical resolution
predesigned.  This is the BIGEST problem with players entering and exiting
games:
       a.) the Player should be able to go home to (and come back from) their
Real World when they need to.  "this isn't a job, its supposed to be fun."
       b.) the game has to be capable of dealing with player exits and entery.
It needs to be done either by narrative design (the limosene) or obvious game
mechanics (flashing red light and then a timer clock ticking down until the
player vanishes).  How this is handled with heavily impact the "immersiveness"
of the game.

Resolving these issues early in game design will help the world become more
immersive and put more enjoyment on the player side of things.    I don't
think this answers the  questions as much as restaties the problems.  They are
deep questions, worthy of note.  But now you all have my take on things.  Feel
free to write back and ask "What the hell are you thinking Tim???"

Tim Innes