Re: chick flick? (story vs emotion) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:44:10 -0500
From: Morbus Iff <morbus@disobey.com>
To: Dan Lyke <danlyke@flutterby.com>
Subject: Re: chick flick? (story vs emotion)

I didn't know if you wanted this sent to the list or not, but if you do,
just forward it on...

>> I'll digress for a momemt, and mention an idea I just had. A story changing
>> depending on who the narrator is? Campside tales, five people telling the
>> same story, different emotions, context, etc. Digression ove
>
>So where does the player interaction start? I'm interested, just looking
>for more...

Well, if everyone knows the entire story in the case of the five campers,
than the actual interaction would remain the same, only the world in which
the interaction would take place would differ.

Say, for example, we have our typical plotline where you have to save a cat
from a tree. We have five narrators: Grandpa, The Kid, Mother, The Pet Shop
Owner, and the Neighbor. You decide to choose Grandpa as your narrator.

Your solution is still the same: save the damn cat. But when Grandpa is
telling you the story, you also have the rambling bylines of a person who
has a crapload to tell. Instead of merely saving the cat, you're reliving
parts of the past. Perhaps Grandpa remembers a time when the cat was being
chased by the Neighbor's Dog. You have to play through the interaction with
the Neighbor and saving your poor cat. There could be tons of extra stories
to play through with Grandpa because he has so much to do.

If the Kid is telling the story, you get to play through the part of trying
to actually buy the damn cat. The pleading with the parents, the saving up
of the allowance, the mundane tasks of cleaning the room, and then the
hours on end of deciding which cat to buy. The saving of the cat becomes
more important to you because it's the only thing the Kid can think of.

I'll skip the Mother and Pet Shop Owner and move on to the Neighbor, who
hates cats. The Cat becomes the crux of the story. You don't want to save
the cat, you like Fido, and you hate that old man across the way (ie, the
Grandpa). The story becomes largely negative, whereas with Grandpa you have
remembrance, and the positivism of the Kid.

You can get one complete story depending on narrator, but only after you
have played all five narrators can you get the full picture.

------- <http://www.disobey.com/> ----------- ICQ: 2927491 ----

  CALL ME: Text Issues
  FIND ME: <http://www.disobey.com/text/>
  READ ME: You hate graphics, you hate colors, you hate
          waiting. You hate the web, you hate your browser,
         your computer is slow. What do you do? Well, here is
        where you can find plain text issues of all Disobey
       has published.

-13------------<\/>-------------- Disobey Section 09 of 10 ----