RE: Interactive Drama and improvised stage comedy

Hi -

Ed has made some very good observations about improvisation to build a
story.   I would recommend that any writer worth his or her salt , would
benefit from such an experience.    There are always local theatre groups or
acting teachers who will regularly teach those important techniques to the
willing student.

In every strong and believable story, interactive or not, every action or
spoken word should do one of three things:

- Progress the story (and conflict)
- Develop a character
- Get a laugh

I believe the main difference between improv and scripted stories, is many
times, an improv doesn't do any of the three... the line or action by the
actor just falls on its face... which is okay because improv believes in
speed and energy.   In the scripted world,  rewrites can flesh out the story
and character and looks for laughs, even if the point is give the audience
relief from a high pressure scene.   (RE:  Chased down and beaten up,
Indiana Jones comes face to face with the most expert swordsman in Cairo...
He breathes a heavy sigh... and shoots him.)

Improv helps bring to the surface the conflict and characters who stoke the
fires of the conflict.

Bruce J. Ford