Re: Several points

----- Original Message -----
From: Dan Lyke <danlyke@flutterby.com>

> Fulfilling story, except for certain genres of farce and comedy (from
> which a few of the action genres draw heavily), needs a meaning for
> each change and each action. If you're mucking with those changes and
> actions based on the expectations of your audience you're destroying
> the underlying meaning and dramatic structure.

I disagree.  Your implication is that audience expectation (or action) is
without meaning-- or further, that if audience input is at odds with a
pre-ordained structure, the story will be destroyed.

Let us, first of all, do away with the concept of pre-ordained inflexible
dramatic structure as a critical component of story.

I have participated in many interactive story experiences who's success was
predicated simply by the a priori institution of character, motivation,
event and setting.  Indeed, it is my contention that the successful
interactive story builders of the future will have to reliquish fine-grained
control over underlying meaning and dramatic structure and focus instead on
these four factors.

As well I think you show a prediliction for a certain type of story (one in
which each change and each action has meaning,) that increasingly today's
story-tellers are experimenting against.  I am not suggesting that we
abandon meaning, but rather that:

a) We allow the audience to participate in creating it (which they will do
of their own volition, with surprisingly good results,)

and

b) We recognize the discretionary value the inclusion of 'non'-meaning
brings to an interactive story environment.

---

::jason.joel.thompson
::founder

::wild.ghost.studios |  www.wildghost.com