Re:

----- Original Message -----
From: Dan Lyke <danlyke@flutterby.com>
To: <idrama@flutterby.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 2:52 PM
Subject: Re:

> Jason Joel Thompson writes:
> > I've been a part of real-time experiences like this and it doesn't
> > really make sense to me to not call them "story," although I would
> > be open to other terms if I felt they had discretionary purpose.
>
> Maybe I've been tainted by my time in the movie biz, but in the usage
> in my circles "story" implies a heck of a lot about structure, about
> the nature of the conflict, and about the eventual resolution.
>
> I'd suggest that "drama" is closer to what you mean (Merriam-Webster:
> "... a state, situation, or series of events involving interesting or
> intense conflict of forces ...").

Not really.  Although there -was- drama, there was also a story.  It did not
lack structure per se, but rather possessed a malleable one.  However, I
will grant that sufficiently flexible environments will generate experiences
across this continuum (from drama to story,) in much the same fashion that
real life does.

As you increase options, you reliquish fine-grained control over the plot.
You risk losing story, however I do think there are good ways to create an
environment that is a rich breeding ground for it.  You'll notice now that
this concept has more to do with "growing" story than legislating it.

---

::jason.joel.thompson
::founder

::wild.ghost.studios |  www.wildghost.com