Re: [Fwd: Gamasutra article]

In a message dated 10/6/01 4:17:21 PM, TLambs1138@cs.com writes:

<< But if Shrek is on one side of the Perfect Line between story and
interactivity, and Final Fantasy et all are on the other, I really look
forward to the way we can walk that line.

Hi Jean,

I don't think Shrek and (either the games or the movie) Final Fantasy
delineate any continuum between story and interactivity. To me they all
appear to be at the same end of that continuum -- that is, they all are
highly crafted stories with little or no interactive choice. We can disagree
about the relative quality of the stories, but they all have in common that
their authors remain firmly in control of the nature and sequence of all
significant events. So I'd put Shrek and the FF movie at one extreme, with
the FF games being just slightly separated from that endpoint (that is,
offset slightly in the direction of more interactivity) to reflect their
limited branching and their interactive mode of presentation. Quality IF goes
a bit farther still, but is still pretty close to the "story end" in the
overall scheme of things.

I suggest that the opposite end of that continuum is defined by "dumb"
simulators at its extreme, with Erasmatron offset somewhat in the direction
of more story quality but still near than end in the overall scheme of
things. Oz/HAP worlds also live in that vicinity. It's likely that with the
invention of additional craft, Erasmatron storyworlds can (and must) move
farther in the direction of more story quality.

(I respect that some Erasmateers disagree with me on this, and regard the
'tron as fundamentally a storytelling system -- that is, they take for
granted the possibility of storyworlds that tell good stories -- while I see
it as fundamentally a world simulator with potential story-quality still at
issue.)

The continuum is indeed a fascinating one, but that Perfect Line often seems
more like a tightrope over the Grand Canyon. With the middle section heavily
greased. :-)

- Walt