Re: Participation versus Interactivity

Chris Crawford writes:
> Participation is one small step up from reaction. People at a
> concert who clap their hands, sing along, hum along, or dance are
> participating in the art of the musicians.

The sense I took from it was that she views interaction as a system
where the end or process is fixed, whereas in participation the goals
and the meaning are largely self-guided. In interaction the whole
exists outside of those interacting, in participation the audience is
a part of the performance.

So almost the opposite of your view of the terms.

I hope she puts up some notes on the complete sense I got from our
conversation as she works on the design for the Egeria project (which,
if things go according to plan, will be the keyhole project at Burning
Man next year). The joy of Firefall is so much in the people
interacting with a relatively simple device, rather than the device
itself.

Dan