Re: Deals

At 11-12-2001 08:58 -0800, Chris Crawdord wrote:

>This basic scheme (vaguely stated deal, unanticipated interference, sense of
>betrayal) can be spun off in a million different directions and variations.
>Close examination will reveal a great many such deals playing a significant
>role in the development of many stories.

I don't know if it's been mentioned on the list, but I can recommend Selmer
Bringsjord & David Ferucci's book "Artificial Intelligence and Literary
Creativity", which seriously tries to come up with a strict definition of
betrayal.
(It may in fact be too strict since it focuses on situations where the
characters have a shared world view.)

-Jesper Juul

jesper juul
ph.d. student