Re: Interactive Drama: Why I've lost interest

Peter Gruenbaum wrote :

> Interesting thoughts. They've inspired me to write down my own
> thoughts on the subject.
>
> Sometimes when I hear people talking about interactive drama, it
> reminds me of the discussions I heard in the 1970s about artificial
> intelligence. (I might be one of the few people on this list who is
> old enough to remember the 1970s!) People were positive that AI was
> right around the corner and that in a few years, we would be able to
> program a computer to make good, intelligent decisions on its own.
> Well, we all know that isn't what happened. The computer revolution
> took off when GUIs were introduced. That kept the decision making in
> the hands of people. The GUIs made it easy for people to have their
> decisions have quick and powerful consequences.

--> I don't think you can push the analogy that far... We have learned
from the seventies: most projects on Interactive Drama do not claim that
their system is creative. This means that, even if those systems claim
to be intelligent, they are not designed to replace the authoring
activity, and its main feature, creativity.

> With a story, you want the decision making in the hands of the author.
> I'm very skeptical about the idea that we can program a computer to
> look at the input from participants in an interactive drama and make a
> good decision about how the story should go. We need something that
> makes it easy for an author to look at the input from participants in
> real time and make decisions and have those decisions be implemented.
> It's the equivalent of having a GUI to tell the computer what to do.
> The story remains under the control of the author and the technology
> allows it to reach out to many people.

--> I undertand that you are skeptical. As a researcher on Interactive
Drama, I also want that the story remains under control of the author,
but by "under control", I do not mean that the author is choosing each
possible step in the story. Rather, I believe that some higher control
is possible. The challenge is that the system does not become an
intelligent and non controlable black box, that the author is not happy
to work with, and which can not produce interesting experience.

Nicolas

www.idtension.com

--
Dr Nicolas Szilas