Re: Interactive storytelling and me; and a challenge

> whitncom@lynx.eaze.net wrote:
>
> >I was just thinking about Briggs-Meyers personality profiles,
> >and wondered if it could be used to derive "different" personalities
> >of characters in a story, or is it too "weak" for that?
> >
> >also, could we say that the 16 personality profiles are sixteen
> >different audiences for our stories, and we should target one
> >particular personality in writing our stories?

Brandon J. Van Every replied:
> In my experience the MBTI is not as simple as this.  As an orthogonal
> typing system, it is highly inadequate.  For instance on various MBTI
> mailing lists the qualifiers x, X, and X* are used when describing type,
> indicating "slightly expressed, moderately expressed, and extremely
> expressed" respectively.  I for instance describe myself as IN*TP.  I
> score overwhelmingly high on the iNtuitive test, which shows how
> self-absorbed I am with my own ideas and formulations.  Also I don't
> think the idea of opposed types being exclusive is valid.  For instance
> I usually describe myself as 60% Perceiver / 40% Judger.  I think a
> division of 7 types along any given axis would be reasonable.  That
> would yield 7^4 = 2401 personality types, with more of a perceivable
> continuum between them than the MBTI describes.

I guess the seven on an axis:

1 E*  (100%E 0%I),                Extremely Outward Driven
2 E,  (83%E 17%I) 5/6=E 1/6=I
3 e,  (66%E 33%I) 2/3=E 1/3=I
4 ie, (50%E 50%I) 1/2=E 1/2=I     Balanced Outward/Inward Driven
5 i,  (33%E 66%I) 1/3=E 2/3=I
6 I,  (17%E 83%I) 1/6=E 5/6=I
7 I*  (0%E 100%I)                 Extremely Inward driven

This has the advantage of easy fractions, but I'm not sure what the
STORY difference would be between each of these.

I suspect the interesting stories would involve personalities that
are "pronounced", ie: on the extreme end of the scales.

> Then you have the question of what type interactions cause conflict.
> It's not as simple as "different types conflict."  For instance, Thinker
> vs. Thinker conflict took me a long time to recognize.  Thinkers who
> share the same paradigms are highly compatible with each other.
> Thinkers who, for reasons of environment and historical accident, have
> come to operate within different paradigms will tend to kill each other
> over the differences.  Judger is an important determinant of conflict,
> probably the most important one.  Strong Judgers tell other people what
> to do, and most people fight back.

Okay, reading this, I now feel we some details that can form
the basis for some story conflict.

I assume your simple kind of conflict would be the extremes:
 E vs I, N vs S, T vs F, P vs J

and now you point out that conflict can happen within types:
 T vs T : when paradigms conflict
 J vs J : when "right" behaviour conflicts
 J vs * : when J's tells other what to do. (is this true for I??J people?)
 E vs E : when each wants to be "top dog"
 I vs I :
 F vs F :
 P vs P :
 S vs S :
 N vs N :

I only filled in some of this, because I don't know more.
Another idea I'd like to discuss is how do we capture these
insights in a way that a computer can aid us in drawing out all
the expected behaviours we want?

> A further complication: to what degree is a person naive about their
> MBTI?  Do they just act on their raw impulses, without any knowledge
> that other people are different, and that there are frameworks available
> for describing the differences?  Or do they know that they're an IN*TP
> and likely to get into fights with any J?  So now you have questions
> about conflict potential vs. conflict avoidance.  Then there are people
> who deliberately seek out conflict, at least of a sort.  There are many
> shades of conflict one might have a taste for; I may like this much or
> this kind of conflict, but not that much / that kind.

Hmm. I don't want my reader/player to have to know Meyers Briggs just
to enjoy the story-experience.