Re: www.humanmarkup.org

whitncom@lynx.eaze.net wrote:

Has anyone looked at http://www.humanmarkup.org ?
I'm not sure if its relevant to Interaction and Fiction, but maybe someone
else has some ideas?

I glanced at it. I'm a 3D graphics guy with a limited knowledge of motion capture, both in terms of theoretical principles and industrial practice. The range of human behaviors that one could 'mark up' is incredibly vast. For instance, think of all the ways you could scrunch up your face. Also there are zillions of body types that such behaviors can be applied to, and the problem of scaling behaviors to fit different body types is decidedly non-trivial. Thus, to be technically feasible, a "Human Markup Language" is inevitably some kind of very limited subsampling of what human beings can do. I haven't read the spec, but I'd expect it to contain something about a "reference avatar" that performs a lot of common movements that embody e-commerce problems. For instance, looking in particular directions, moving the lips according to some phonemes in a not-too-accurate way, waving, smiling, nodding, pointing, etc. I would expect a Human Markup Language to be adequate for putting a human face (or body) upon a UI. In other words, I'd expect it to handle something like http://www.oddcast.com/sitepal/?promotionId=1385&bannerId=134

I would not expect such a standard to encompass anything close to dramatic subtlety. First off, the data and streaming requirements are too heavy for XML. Second off, in industrial practice I don't think any of the "high quality motion" stuff is that mature yet. Last I checked, people were still getting bad input streams from their mocap that they had to clean up tediously by hand. I think I last looked 2 years ago; there may have been some progress since then. On the other hand, I just looked at whether speech synthesizers are capable of dramatic inflection and authoring, for purposes of film or game work. They're not. That's "next generation" stuff and it may be 5..10 years before it's delivered in any industrially meaningful sense. One guy at the Audio Engineering Society laughed that this kind of problem has always been "5 years out" forever. Which fits with my observation that for the vast majority of businesses, anything that's 5+ years in the future is in the infinite future, and nowhere near to getting done. Most companies simply don't plan farther than 5 years in advance. They wait-and-see whether someone else is going to make progress on something, and take some of the initial lumps.

Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

When no one else sells courage, supply and demand take hold.