Re: Interactive storytelling and me; and a challenge

Hi Mark!

On 6/2/05, Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes <kamikaze@kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu> wrote:
> Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 09:47:18PM +0300 in <ff7ba12a050601114752657d18@mail.gmail.com>,
> Benja Fallenstein <benja.fallenstein@gmail.com> spake:
> >On 6/1/05, Brandon J. Van Every <vanevery@indiegamedesign.com> wrote:
> >> Also, if you spend all your time building
> >> violins rather than playing them, you're a craftsman, not an artist.
> >True. Well, I don't; I'm not working on generic engines, but
> >particular stories/storyworlds.
>
>   That depends on your definition of "art".  I use an anthropological
> one: any skilled activity that is not essential to survival.

True. It's good to keep in mind that different people mean different
things by 'art' when discussing things like this. My personal
definition of art is "something whose purpose is to evoke emotion for
its own sake."

>   I'd agree.  If you're not having fun playing your own game, you've
> lost one of the major drivers to improve your game-creating skills.

And one of the major drivers to be interested in creating games at all, even!

>   From <http://www.gapingvoid.com/Moveable_Type/archives/000932.html>,
> #7: "Keep your day job":
>     Or geeks. You spend you weekdays writing code for a faceless
>     corporation ("Cash"), then you spend your evening and weekends
>     writing anarchic, weird computer games to amuse your techie friends
>     with ("Sex").

:-)

- Benja