Re: Computer generated Art and Story

Joe Andrieu wrote:

After fifteen years thinking about story in an interactive context, I feel I
am just barely beginning to get a wisp of an aroma of the real matter
underlying story.

I think anthropology and history have a lot to say about story. More broadly, the social sciences. I have a sense of 'story' as coda for our evolutionary survival. I'm not convinced we're all that complicated, evolutionarily speaking. We screw, we block other mates from screwing, we secure resources, killing each other is a useful tool to that end, we manipulate each other, etc. blah blah blah. Many of our actions are determined by our environment. Part of the problem of 'story' may be that we think rather too much of ourselves. We don't sufficiently embrace "our inner cockroach," our triviality. Of course, the other problem is we're so elaborate. The driving processes may all be very simple, but they're elaborated into minutiae of detail that we have to deal with. It's mitigating all this detail that's hard.

So perhaps if details are eliminated, as they are in The Sims, we could get more 'stories' done.

Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

20% of the world is real.