Re: Who is the storyteller?

On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Morbus Iff wrote:
> Although this might an impossible thought - who the hell needs camera's
> anyways? <g>...
[snip]
> Is it enough, then, to let the camera angles be all in the head of the
> person? Of course, than we lose a very integral part of the "interactive"
> moniker, but we gain an important asset: imagination.

Unfortunately, we lose something else: potential market.

But that's the snide answer. Think about the concept more as simile. Even
in the DVDs with multiple camera angles the director still chose all those
angles. The question is really about forcing the player/audience to look
at a particular subset of the world.

When reduced to text it's kind of the same issue that the interactive
fiction people struggle with, how to represent the world beyond the story
elements without getting bogged down in all the tired little details.

> Another idea we had with this HTML world/game was to grab information from
> the player first - where they lived, if anyone died recently, some personal
> information from them that would help us to make the story closer to
> reality for them... again, that something that could be linked to.

Now we're talking. When that headcold wears off howzabout riffing in this
direction for a while?

Dan