Re: Real-time or Turn-based?

>I don't think the transport medium much matters, but IP based networks
>seem to be the way to go, IP is pretty much universal; modems over
>POTS lines will disappear in the near future.

The near future? I don't want to get on a horrible discussion about Bell
Atlantic and their hidden agenda, but working at an ISP in New Hampshire, I
know that no time in the near future will we be totally rid of POTS lines.
We've been trying to get a PRI from them for about 3 months...

>said that long-distance network play failed for them. Not for any
>technical reasons, but because it was much easier for the
>socialization that created the rivalries and the sense of community to
>happen when everyone was frequently in the same room together.

Would there be a way to work around that? Sure, they said it didn't work,
but damn, wouldn't it be great if WE could get it to work? I would think
that network play with Quake wouldn't work - you really dont' have
interaction besides blowing the shit out of each other. But Ultima and to a
lesser degree, Diablo seem to have made a move into a communal bitbucket...

>> The only thing I could think of it this regard is to implement some
>> sort of Wandering Mind mechanic. Sure, we don't want to watch every
>> single bite of my date, but as we boring engage in conversation with a
>> horrible AI (note to self: get Turing on game dev team), we day dream.
>
>Hey! I hadn't thought about flashbacks for the temporal filler! Thank you!

No prob, that's what I'm here for ;)

------- <http://www.disobey.com/> ----------- ICQ: 2927491 ----

  CALL ME: Text Issues
  FIND ME: <http://www.disobey.com/text/>
  READ ME: You hate graphics, you hate colors, you hate
          waiting. You hate the web, you hate your browser,
         your computer is slow. What do you do? Well, here is
        where you can find plain text issues of all Disobey
       has published.

-13------------<\/>-------------- Disobey Section 09 of 10 ----