Re: process vs. data

Very good summation, Walt.

        You get right to the meat of a problem I've just bypassed in
favour of yet another limited approach. That the structured data method
is about all there is for making the player a 'character' in the story
(or plot).

        For my own interests I am closer to simulation, and hope to see
the world provide sub-plots among the population around the player due
to an object oriented interaction between player and actors and actors
upon other actors. This would not result in a structured plot for the
player in a first person sense, but rather something more akin to the
wandering of Faust.

        I suppose an ideal experience would be stories experienced in a
truly first person mode, aspiring to the emotional power of Poe. But,
how can a player's actions result in this without persistent direction?

        As I mentioned in a previous post, it seems to me that
storytelling is a cooperative creative effort. If computer-aided,
interactive storytelling is going to give the reader/player more
control, perhaps it will be necessary to also confer some of the
writer's responsibility. Perhaps, using a system founded in simulation,
it will be necessary for a player/reader to create self-plot in the
'storyworld.' This would be a system not of direction but of cooperative
volition; the player who fails to write her own story will yet fail to
find it, but may still enjoy the simulation.

                                                --Bob