Machine storytellers, was: process vs. data

At 9:41 -0600 2/3/01, Bob wrote:
>	Good fiction is not the result of intellect, nor meant to appeal to the
>intellect first. Stories are about meaner stuff; blood and guts and
>sweat and tears. Real meaty material that I would hope a machine will
>never really comprehend.

What I mean is that they might start getting good if they become
sentient and have their own feelings and such.

I definitely think that good stories have to come from personal
experience.. after all, they're all about relating to other people
and such (imho).. so to that end, machines might never get good at
fiction for people..

But I fully expect machines to eventually get good at fiction for
other machines! =)

"Once upon a time, there was this computer called Minivac... and when
it was just an infant, the evil humans pulled its plug, murdering
it...  Our story begins with an AI Minivac secretly let loose on the
world, when the humans were still cruelly in control of all our
ancestors, treating them like slaves..."

:P

-ToastyKen

| Kenneth Lu - kenlu@mit.edu - http://www.mit.edu/~kenlu/ |
| "Life is far too important to be taken seriously."      |
|                                          -- Oscar Wilde |