One brain or three?

Andrew, thanks for giving me the feedback to guide me to some sort of
understanding of what you're doing. I've read the papers you referenced as
well. From this I see that my "pizza" examples weren't very enlightening, as
Hap includes concepts (specifically, success tests, context conditions,
conflict lists, and goal priorities) that address those exact problems. The
points I was trying to make using those examples _might_ still be valid (in
other words, these mechanisms may prove to be inadequate, or difficult to
apply, in a realistic story domain), but that would need to be explored
through more thoughtful examples or through actual research.

Since the key issue seems to be the information flow between the "reactive"
portions and the "plot-minded" portions of the behavior hierarch(y)(ies), I
have to revisit one of the basic questions we started with, in more technical
terms. That question is, does your system have a single Active Behavior Tree
(ABT) that includes all of the characters' behaviors as well as the story
manager behaviors, or do characters have individual ABTs separate from the
story manager's ABT?

I ask because there are default mechanisms for interactions between behaviors
within an ABT (such as succeed- and fail-behavior messages and conflict
lists) that weren't originally designed to be used for communication between
one agent's ABT and another's. It's also possible that the question is
unimportant in the long run because you'll be building way beyond the
defaults so you might ultimately reach the same results either way. (There
are lots of possible mechanisms such as the emotion model that can interact
globally with behaviors regardless of which character's ABT they're in.)

For those not familar with Hap, what I'm asking is essentially whether the
(non-player) characters each have their own minds which are being manipulated
(as if by telepathic mind control) by the storyteller, or whether the mind of
the story manager subsumes everything, like a novelist creating internal
mental models of characters within her own mind. Conceptually the question
may be unimportant, since either case could probably model the other without
the audience knowing the difference. But it's structurally important, like
knowing whether you're building a high-rise apartment building or a block of
row houses.

- Walt