Re: [Fwd: Gamasutra article]

Brandon, while I too have many misgivings about that essay, I think that you
are too pessimistic about the tastes of the general public. In particular,
we have an ideal test case from this summer's release of Shrek and Final
Fantasy. Here we have two movies with many similarities and one huge
difference. The similarities lie in the use of computer graphics to tell an
animated tale. The difference lies in the priorities: Shrek put its emphasis
on telling a good tale, and Final Fantasy put its efforts into
state-of-the-art graphics. The box office results were decisive: a good
story beats topnotch graphics hands down.

My problem with the essay is that its recommendations were followed
scrupulously by Final Fantasy -- and look at the trashy results.

Chris Crawford