Re: failure and determination

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes wrote:

 The commercial computer games industry is a plague upon mankind.

Having read "Guns, Germs, and Steel" recently, I think it might be worth contemplating the role of 'plague' in mankind's evolution. The societies that came to dominate the world, were the ones that got agriculture going earliest. Consequently populations densified, and they developed horrific epidemic diseases. So much that these were largely responsible for wiping out New World populations, for instance. Meanwhile, other places like Paupa New Guinea were protected from Eurpean encroachment, because they had developed enough indigenous agriculture to develop their own nasty diseases that kept white settlers out. So when you say it's a 'plague', unfortunately I'm inclined to see it as the long-term engine of societal progress. It all depends on how long a view you want to adopt. Historically speaking, I think we're in a position analogous to the film industry of the 1930's, where major studios had consolidated most of the power. I'm not interested in it, I refuse to deal with it; but the historical process is probably both necessary and inevitable. 'Necessary' because seemingly, huge piles of people have to suffer before the masses will move on. The individual sufferings of you, me, or Chris will never be cared about.

At least I finally stopped
going to CGDC; the one or two good talks per year were no longer worth
paying for.

I did it once in 2002 when I had more dough. I don't regret having done it that 1st time, to get the experience, and I may yet do it again. But I was already deeply cynical about the value proposition of conferences, as seen from my SIGGRAPH days, long before ever contemplating the GDC. It makes a *huge* difference whether you're an employee getting a sort of paid vacation, vs. an indie footing the bill for this drivel yourself. Know what I did? I spent almost the entire conference playing this game called "Leviathan," and dammit our team won. Yellow kicked friggin' ass, man! So playing that game cost me $1500 out of my pocket, and honestly, that's not the thing I regret about the GDC. The other thing I really liked was Brian Moriarty's lecture. He's like the only really amazing lecturer. He did this whole thing with a darkened room, a harpischord playing, and an eclipse happening during the presentation. I forget what it was about; surely something about stimulating the creative juices in game development. Anyways it was fantastic and if I got 10 Brian Moriartys every conference, I would not hesitate to plunk $1500 on it.

As it is, most guys are computer geeks who can't lecture interestingly. Most of their domain knowledge is stuff I'd look up if I really cared. There is occasionally a bright gem. Also, if one is particularly weak in some area and has a business reason to want to know more, the GDC can be useful. For instance, I feel that way about business and legal stuff. But that's it. I don't see that the GDC has anything to tell me about programming, or game design, or visual art. Maybe audio, as that's a very weak area for me.

I resolved, if I'm ever rich and famous in the game industry, I'm going to run "Brandon's Beach Conference." My thought is that for $1500, I'd rather be on the beach sipping pina coladas watching scantily clad women saunter by, or maybe even serving me drinks. I'm not sexist, we can have cabana boys too. We'd sit on the beach and talk about game design and that's all the conference would be. I think the primary value of conferences is schmoozing, so why not schmooze in the most enjoyable setting? Granted not everyone enjoys this setting, but I would, so hence my conference!

I can generally afford to spend 6-12 months working at corporations by
day, putting in a few tired hours on evenings and weekends on games, and
then when the contract's done, coast on savings for another 6-12 months
while I work on my games full-time, but I routinely have to explain
these gaps in my employment history to recruiters and employers so I can
get work again, and often this loses me jobs I could do in my sleep to
uncreative (but therefore "safe") monkeys without a tenth of my skill.
The business environment really does not appreciate anyone who isn't
100% committed to their corporation as if it were a messianic religion.
<shrug> There is nothing I can do to change that, so dealing with it
and moving on is my only choice.

I feel your pain. Really. Currently I keep afloat by signature gathering, and I do believe my landlord's got an eviction threat on the way for me. Fortunately I think I'm going to stay one step ahead of him. I don't even know about "my skills" vs. those of other programmers. I think programming is mostly awful. I think there's probably "some kind" of programming I can really excel at, but the industry is wrapped up in processes that mostly drive me crazy. So I find myself limited. I might have excelled in the early ASM era, if I had been old enough, as ASM is the only kind of coding I've ever really liked. I think I might become a God in the "Star Trek Computer" era, or something proximate. There's something about all this contemporary low level crap that just keeps me from getting much done though. And the corporate culture is, indeed, about swallowing all this low-level crap like you're supposed to care about it, and get really excited about it. I cannot possibly lie through my teeth to that degree, not to myself, nor to employers. So I gather signatures. And I keep slogging away with "better" tools, which still involve tremendous amounts of crufty Unix legacy pain. But at least the tools I'm trying to use, like Bigloo Scheme, are more progressive than the C++ / Java / C# alternatives. Slowly I believe I will find a way.

I don't believe I can find a way quickly, because I think you have to actually like technical grunge to fit into the technical mainstream. The mainstream does not meet my elegance criteria, so I am continuallly at odds with it.

I'm glad to see from your site that Erasmatron's moving to Java--the
primary obstacle to using it before was that it was tied to the Mac,
which is a lovely platform but simply not on the desk of most people.

Yes, that really was the dealbreaker back when I discussed writing an exemplar IF piece for the Erasmatron. There's no way I could make a literary committment to such a small platform. Things have to get shipped on Windows. I don't like that, and if someone offered me an open source platform with a large audience, I'd drop Windows in a heartbeat. I'm already down to Windows being the only Windows thing that I use as is, having replaced everything else with open source stuff. But shipping on Windows is still the financial reality of the indie game developer.

 What I have learned from what I've done so far, is this one
all-important lesson:

Know when to shut up and code or write. Make something that works,
even if it's not perfect, even if it's just the vaguest sketch of what
you want. Something that's concrete and works can be considered and
analyzed and second-guessed later. Games that people can play, good or
bad, are always better than games that people can't play.

I'm not sure what the all-important lesson is. I don't have the hindsight of success to evaluate it. Also, there is an old Chinese story, about not saying what is good or bad. Just to say what is. It's a long ramble about a boy who works in a field, but gets trampled on by a horse, and gets crippled, but then he doesn't have to go off to war, and so he survives, but someone else in his family is killed by the war, etc. Life defies what we can analyze as our "best heuristic." I don't feel I've spent enough time writing code; but, I do feel my game design skills are stronger for this. I am habituated to the problem of nothingness, of the blank slate. I can survive in a psychological world of uncertainty where most other people would fall apart. Really, I feel like the only thing holding me back are my lousy tools. Some would say that's the whole rub. Maybe most would. But most never ship anything of consequence, so maybe it's all a matter of how "high road" you want to be about anything.

I mean, I could have cloned Half-Life a long time ago. Why should I care about that? It is beneath my objectives. I disagree with you even as far as literal formulation. I would sooner throw a frisbee in a park with friends, than play Half-Life. Such a game is not "better" simply for being playable. Now, I don't want to denigrate Half-Life too strongly. I actually liked the demo level I played of it. I've also heard that this demo level was the more polished part of the content, that there were large sections of the game that weren't nearly as well put together as the demo. Anyways, Half-Life has certainly inspired many people and I don't criticize it from that standpoint. But it's clear to me, that the things it fulfils for most people, aren't remotely related to my personal authorial goals. And so I ignore it. I take a higher road.

Half-Life itself wasn't even perceived as a huge innovator when it was first released. It was perceived as the best recombination of existing approaches. The thing that struck the right "authorial balance" between AI, story, gameplay, etc.

I don't deal too much in questions of demographics anymore. My so-called higher road will probably seem dumb to lotsa people. Maybe even workadaisical, when evaluated in hindsight. "Is that all you had to offer?" We'll see. People generally don't understand foresight. They usually only evaluate once things have been made easy.

Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                         - anonymous entrepreneur