Re: ART vs. DRAMA

Nelson Zagalo wrote:

Why 'emotional'?

Because that is the big essence of Art, in my view.

I'm more inclined to define ART as a cultural practice.

I do analyze and contemplate it.

You 'cognitivize' it and feel it.

Are all feelings emotions? Is confusion an emotion? What about pain, or being hot, or cold, or weightless? All emotions are feelings, but I'm not convinced that all feelings are emotions. In the martial arts, for instance, often a feeling is a contact reflex. If I feel your hand upon mine (and I don't want it there :-) I flip my hand over and strike you in the head without time to think or feel much of anything. Yet adrenaline is pumping in a real fight, and that's a strong feeling. So's fear, or anger. Fear and anger are definitely what I'd call emotions.

such as "beautiful," "ugly,"

This labelling happens in your reasoning, which mixes your intellectual
analyses plus your emotional feelings in order to arrive at a conclusion
of the object you're facing.

Yes, there's a mixing. But what % is emotional, and what % is analytical? Related question: to what extent do we impose value judgements, and to what extent are we content to avoid making value judgements?

Here, 'decoration' sounds like a label for 'bad', without having any more substance to it than that.

I'm not labelling it as bad, but as "decoration". To me this is
different. Rocky V has good technical work done by good artisans. The
problem is that they limited their work to that, artisanship.

You have a story that doesn't add anything new to the original story.
Neither in terms of content and lesser in terms of form. The story is
built on top of a too fragile conflict between the main characters,
however in terms of maintaining viewer attention it's well done because
technicians were good enough for that. The story keeps progressing in a
very simple way, putting you waiting for things in order to maintain
your focus, that never happens and so the cognitive change never occurs
and the emotional comes to be very weak. This is what makes the big
difference between the two movies.

So IIUYC, the audience is not made to care about the characters.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

20% of the world is real.