Re: [Fwd: Gamasutra article]

Having worked in advertising I may be giving more credit than is due to
marketing but there is an aspect there as well to this dichotomy: Shrek
had big name american actors and about two months of popular media
exposure while Final Fantasy is essentially a foreign import that got
about a week or two of advertising saturation but little critical
attention. This view supports the suggestion that the public is stupid
and loves being led.

But I don't really gauge the merit of film or games that way. Rather I
see the whole marketing strategy of both cinema and games as a major
SNAFU. Consider the classic A Wonderful Life; few would argue that this
is not one of the most recognized and appreciated films ever made, but
it was a failure upon initial release. Last year, with a shamefully
exorbitant advertising campaign, The Grinch was a success. But somehow I
do not expect that film to endure.

Among games it is seems that a technical plateau is finally appearing.
Games made in the late 90's are visually comparable to those currently
being released. Although there are not many games that will endure, if
any, the tech is looking like less of a barrier to long term sales
strategies. For example, the massively multiplayer game Asheron's Call
was able to continue sales of the same boxed package for almost two
years and actually saw a second sales peak last Christmas.

Interactive Fiction, or dramatic role playing games based on systems
such as the Erazmatron, with a realtime 3d machinima presentation, may
be able to survive for years in the coming market. It is a very
optimistic outlook, but who would have expected in the early 20th
century that pulp scientifiction and comic-books would become cultural
icons and survive for generations?

							It could happen ;)
							     --Bob