Re: [Fwd: Gamasutra article]

Hi Chris,

>I won't object to your characterization. There's no
>question that the Erasmatron system needs more work.

Actually, I've been changing my mind about that. I've held that opinion, and
I certainly asked for the moon and stars back when you invited suggestions
for new built-in features. But I'm starting to realize that the system may be
closer than I thought to the point where it should be up to the craft of
storyworld authoring to make further progress.

I got vibes at Phrontisterion that the progress of the 'tron wasn't really
open for discussion, possibly because Weighty Decisions on that question were
in process. So I've been waiting for you to broach the topic. I'll consider
your comment a very small broaching, to ask some very specific questions.

1. I noticed that CandidateVerb and CandidateEvent now appear on the Picking
Stuff menu. Does that mean there's a PickBestEvent or possibly even a
PickBestVerb function hidden away somewhere? (PickBestEvent is something I
lobbied for. I can't get my brain around PickBestVerb since verbs as
uninstantiated event prototypes don't seem to have any properties that could
be the basis for Acceptable and Desirability equations.)

2. The SetAlarmClock procedure appears to offer a way for a reaction to
causally link to a variable verb, such as (if the answer to #1 is yes) a
verbObject from an event returned by pickBestEvent. If so, this could have
radical implications. But there's no documentation for this. Does it actually
work? What happens if the alarm clock's subject and dirObject aren't on the
same stage at the set time?

Feel free, of course, to defer answering if things are still in flux.

Best wishes,
Walt