Re: Content

Brandon,

I basically agree with what you said about how it's all about
"content", but it can be about different KINDS of content.  In the
case of interactive works, the mechanism is part of the "content".
"Look!  If I build fewer factories, there's less polution and more
happy citizens!"  That makes an effective political statement.  By
playing simulator games, we can better understand how things work,
WITH THE AUTHOR'S BIAS IN FULL EFFECT within the rules of the
simulation.  This is content.  Think of the author not as
Michelangelo, but as the Newtonian "watchmaker God" who creates a
Universe for us to explore in.

I guess this is my personal bent in terms of interactive fiction..
Imagine an automated story-telling system that tells, say,
stereotypical private-eye stories.  Can a human author write a linear
story on the same topic better than a computer?  Sure.  Will a reader
absorb more from reading a few human-authored detective stories than
they will from playing through such a game a few times?  Not
necessarily..

What the game can do that the book cannot is to allow the user to
explore the consequences of various actions in the directions they
find interesting..  The "author" of the simulation codes in rules for
human behavior, and the player explores those rules within the
various stories that the simulation generates.

A human author can write a single plot that focuses on a few issues
(trust and betrayal, law-abiding and law-bending, etc.), but a
simulation can be coded to simulate a larger variety of such social
phenomena, and the reader/player might explore those phenomena with
greater efficiency..

Still, note how it is the author who is in control, despite the
individual runs of the game, or individual "stories", being written
by the simulator.  The author places in their bias of the rules of
the Universe.. the author biases the simulation to focus, still, on
the interactions and concepts they find important.

What I'm saying is that interactive fiction of the kind I'm thinking
(which is very simulation-oriented) is very suited for "content" that
is focused on the mechanics of an issue.  It's still "content", but
it's a somewhat different kind of content from what can easily be
expressed in a static work.

-ToastyKen

| Kenneth Lu - kenlu@mit.edu - http://www.mit.edu/~kenlu/ |
| "Life is far too important to be taken seriously."      |
|                                          -- Oscar Wilde |