Re: Mechanics are the message

ToastyKen wrote:

>Now, I have this theory that fiction is often more effective in
>sending a message than direct non-fictional essays in part because
>they can be entertaining, but in part because they don't trigger a
>defensive reaction in the audience.  With non-fiction, the audience
>often doesn't want to feel stupid, so it reacts by looking for flaws
>in the reasoning.  With fiction, it might instead take the audience a
>bit of effort to notice some of the messages, and this makes them
>feel smart.. and they thus have a more positive reaction to the
>message.

I've read a lot of theories about how this or that indirect method of
conveying a message is effective because it bypasses logical "defenses" that
might otherwise raise objections. The problem is, every controlled study ever
conducted has shown that a directly stated overt message is more effective at
eliciting or changing beliefs than any other (more subtle or indirect)
method. Either those logical defenses don't exist, or they are just as
effective against subtle messages as they are against overt ones.

I have a different theory about the effectiveness of stories at conveying
messages. It's not that they're more likely to be accepted as true, but that
they are more likely to be remembered. Research has shown that dreams are
probably integral to the process of converting new information into long-term
memories and/or integrating it into one's general world view. Information
wrapped in stories, perhaps, comes pre-dreamed, making that process more
efficient.

This may, then, be even more the case for information wrapped in game play.
Besides mimicking learning through real world experience, it might also mimic
the subjunctive thought-experiment nature of many dreams.

Just flighty speculation, of course. Of more practical interest is Brandon's
observation that the actual message often turns out to be quite different
than what the author appears to have intended. Instead of "global waming is
important," you get "global warming is just an excuse to ruin my fun."

My favorite example is the typical computer FRP. Despite the trappings of
heroism and adventure, the actual message of FRPs is "success comes only by
patience and caution." Since most players are far more likely to be patient
and cautious in real life, they're more receptive to the game because the
message agrees with their world view. Preaching to the choir is a sure path
to success in every other medium; why should games be any different?

- Walt