Deals and obligations

I see dealing between characters as a specific case involving a more general
and even more important element: obligations. Once the system handles how the
characters decide what deals to offer and which deals to accept, it has to
handle the carrying out of the terms of the deal, and the potential
consequences of (especially) not doing so. This is the vast literary realm of
obligations.

Obligation can exist without deals, arising through birth, marriage, or
innumerable other circmstances. Cultural rules come into play. There's a
blurry line between acting by inclination (doing someone a favor because you
like him) and acting by obligation (doing a favor because you owe the
recipient a favor). In fact this distinction is itself a theme of a wide
range of stories; it's the bedrock of the enemies-thrown-together survival
story and has also been explored in every genre from Mob epics to Seinfeld
episodes. ("I'm not driving him to the airport!")

Also worth exploring is the way events turn a general obligation (a kinship
obligation toward one's brother, or loyalty to one's state) into a specific
obligation to perform a specific action (avenge one's brother's death, or
report for military service). The obligated action can be explicit (the
brother's ghost appears and demands revenge; the citizen gets drafted)
requiring the obligated character only to react appropriately, or implicit
(honor demands revenge; patriotism motivates wartime enlistment) in the
situation, requiring the character to take action motivated by the obligation
itself.

Rarely do these situations involve any sort of mutual conscious deal making.
And even when they do, the actual making of the deal is may not be the most
interesting part. A marriage can be regarded and analyzed as a complex "deal"
but should a storytelling system really treat it as one? A single deal, like
a marriage, can motivate a great number of individual actions. It makes sense
to treat these actions as resulting from a sustained state of mutual
obligation created by the deal, rather than being tied directly to the deal
itself. The "deal" between an orchestra conductor and a violinist that says
"you wave your baton, and I'll play the music" should be made once, when the
violinist joins the orchestra, not repeatedly at every performance or every
piece or every note played.

I'd be perfectly happy with a mechanism for "deals" that is limited to
conscious mutual agreements (or even limited to those involving a caclulation
of expected benefit). But that mechanism should then feed into a more general
mechanism for handling obligations, which can arise in other ways too.

In Erasmatron the emerging "scenes" mechanism may be capable of handling
obligations that persist over time and require unilateral action.
(Obligations that require only appropriate _reactions_ could simply be
relationship variables, except when they need additional variables. Money
owed could be a relationship variable, but three camels and two goats owed
couldn't unless the total number of different possible commodities were very
limited.) My previous "borrowed lawn mower" example is a pretty
straightforward case.

- Walt