Tabletop Role Playing Grows Up

About two years ago I decided to renew my interest in tabletop role playing
games, which (as I have mentioned in many posts to this list) was one of the
paths that led me to interactive storytelling as a creative pursuit many
years ago. Four months ago I was surprised to discover that after decades of
relative stagnation in that field, at least one online group of role playing
game designers, authors, and participants has recently (within the past two
years or so) begun breaking new ground at a phenomenal rate. This group,
which congregates at a site called The Forge, has been actively engaged in
developing intellectually rigorous theory and terminology of role playing
games, and putting that theory into practice in inventing playable games. The
theory overlaps significantly some of the same areas as current theory in
Interactive Storytelling, Interactive Drama, Interactive Fiction, and
Narrative Intelligence.

The site is http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php.

Areas of discussion that are of possible interest to idrama folk include:

- The Gamist/Simulationist/Narrativist or GNS model of role playing games,
which sorts out the different types of decision-making criteria participants
use during play. This is something IS has barely begun to examine.

- The notion of protagonization, which identifies and sums up in one term a
fundamental problem with most interactive storytelling systems (including
most mass-market role playing games). I believe Erasmateers, especially,
should find this enlightening. It even sheds new light on some old
foundational concepts. For example, a strong case could be made that the real
problem with the "tree of death" branching story structure is not that the
dead-end branches end the story, but that they deprotagonize the
player-character.

- The designs of some of the independent games themselves. Many are
"narrativist" games meaning that they’re designed for players whose main
concern is storytelling. Some of them are very concise systems whose rules
often exist primarily to give structure to cooperative storytelling efforts.
The most referenced in discussion are probably The Pool and InSpectres.
Others are full-blown role playing game systems with all the conventional
trappings, but with rules and approaches that revolutionize the actual play
as a creative process. The Riddle of Steel and Hero Wars are the most
extensively discussed examples. And there’s Sorceror, which is in a way the
center of gravity of all the ideas discussed at the site. These designs, the
theory behind them, and their significance are discussed in detail in
specialized threads as well as being touchstones for the general discussion.

- Practical concepts including stance, railroading, illusionism,
drama/fortune/karma resolution mechanisms, conflict resolution vs. task
resolution, bangs and kickers, currency, and others that have close parallels
(but generally lack consistent terminology for them) in IS.

As is usual when arriving at a site where discussion has already been going
on for more than a year, there’s a daunting amount of material confronting
the newcomer. A seminal article that introduces much of the terminology
begins at http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/gns/gns_introduction.html. To
get an idea of the tenor of discussion, try this thread:
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2000 (nothing particularly
special about it, except I was a participant and it's a reasonable example of
the intellectual tone maintained on the boards).

I would encourage people to not be shy about joining into areas of discussion
that strike your interest. The Forge correpsondents have proven, in my
experience, very patient in helping newcomers catch up on the specialized
terminology and on past areas of debate, especially those making an honset
effort to comprehend the issues. I do recommend, though, that those inclined
to post first read the local etiquette rules at:
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1604. (For example, many
newcomers have accidentally fallen afoul of the rule against resurrecting old
threads with new posts, and though no one will hold a grudge if you make that
mistake, it can be embarrassing.)

Since the issue of communication is once again under discussion here, I
should also mention that I believe that apart from its actual content, The
Forge is also a useful model for how interdisciplinary communication can be
facilitated. The GNS theory at The Forge lays out a terminology of useful
specialized definitions that discussion is generally expected to adhere to,
even though many do not fully embrace the theory itself. There’s no official
glossary, but correspondents learn the technology in context, and errors in
usage are pointed out as such. This sounds like it could stifle ideas but so
far, from what I’ve seen in practice, it does the opposite. Free discussion
is greatly facilitated by not having every participant start out by telling
everyone else they’re wrong about what a "story" really is. Terminology is
frequently discussed overtly, but such discussion has far less tendency to go
in circles than I’ve seen elsewhere. What makes it all work is that
discussion is closely moderated by one individual, not for content but for
clarity and focus, much in the manner of a college seminar.

This community, arising from a field so long stagnant, and achieving so much
in terms of both formulating useful theories and producing demonstrable
results, is very inspiring to me. I believe it's worth a very close look, and
is well worth the effort that taking such a close look requires. Even for
those who have had, in the past, reason to believe that tabletop role playing
games held no interest for them.

Best,
Walt