RE: First draft Phrontisterion Report

Note I didn't go to Phrontisterion.

> 2. Non-textual input systems: Adjusting dials for tonality
> expression as
> a supplement to other input systems is both viable and desirable. The
> problem of clash between the explicit content of the
> statement made and
> the tonality with which it is expressed can be resolved by several
> means. Dials can have limits imposed upon them by the nature of the
> explicit statement being made. Alternatively, the computer can respond
> to such a clash by asking, "Huh?" Lastly, there might be buttons
> available to indicate that the user is deliberately expressing irony,
> sarcasm, humor, etc.

[#2] When humans provide qualifications they are multimodal, they can
say/intone/gesture several things at once.  If a user has to make
separate, sequential actions to communicate fully qualified intent, in
most cases they probably won't.  The only time they would is if accuracy
is absolutely essential to them personally.  For instance, if they beat
their head on an adventure game problem over and over again, they've
exhausted other avenues of exploration, they've been conditioned to
expect that a fully qualified statement will work, and they definitely
desire to continue the game.

In other words, Keep It Simple Stupid.  Humans can communicate with
greater complexity because we have the hardware for it.  Lacking the
hardware, you have to keep communication as simple as the hardware
you've got.

It's also worth noting that diplomatic language is a skill, one that
most people don't exercise in the ordinary course of their lives unless
highly motivated to do so, i.e. they'll get fired if they say something
to the boss the wrong way.  Human communication is by default lazy.

20% of the world is real.