Re: Interactive Drama: Why I've lost interest

It's early morning, pre-coffee, pre-shower, pre-going-to-work. I doubt I'll say everything I want to say, and I'm pretty damn sure it's going to come out nonsensically too. Excelsior.

Several months ago I proposed shutting down the idrama@flutterby.com
mailing list. The suggestion was made that maybe we could rekindle
interest in the topic if I could write something on why I've lost my
own interest in interactive drama. This is my attempt at that.

What made you think of this /now/? Seeing the address in your Address Book? Sick of looking at it on the TODO? Upgrading the list software?

After computers, the storytelling bit has become quite a bit less
social. It's hard to convince me that as we've watched MMORPGs or
networked FPS games evolve to be more graphical that the discourse or
social experience has improved over the days of MUDs.

Were they suppose to? This seems like a flawed cause and effect. MMORPGs and FPSs don't really have much to do with storytelling (and by design, I think) - besides HL, I can't think of any FPS that made me want to do anything but shoot without thinking. And MMORPGs are crap when it comes to story - even FFXI, a series known for good stories, leaves most of it on the backburner, and the latest, WoW, doesn't do anything new either.

I'd much rather see a comparison between, I dunno, the evolution of previously social games like paper RPGs, than the introduction of the computer. With that said, there hasn't been much goodness in the evolution of that department either - while publishing odd and inventive little things is a lot easier, the stuff that is getting /played/ has devolved into card games and My First Warhammer 40k introductions, none of which are very heavy on idrama.

For "everyone is the storyteller", take a look at "Lexicon: an RPG". I've been running one for the past year or so called Ghyll - the world was created from scratch by the community, and everything the community writes is considered Truth. More here: http://gamegrene.com/wiki/

have *far* more entertainers than we have audiences. Book authors tell
me that they make $1.50 in royalties for a book, but get a $3.00
> kickback from Amazon if someone buys that book from a link on their

I can corroborate that <g>.

--
Morbus Iff ( evil is my sour flavor )