blog demerits

Benja Fallenstein wrote:

On 5/25/05, Brandon J. Van Every <vanevery@indiegamedesign.com> wrote:

Benja Fallenstein wrote:

Is there any interest in this at all? Would someone else want to read
such a diary?

That's pretty much the raison d'etre of a blog. I have a problem with
blogs: they go on and on and on about somebody else. My patience for
that is limited, as is most people's. I personally think that
discussing / debating these issues is more valuable to people. When
multiple people contribute to a discussion, multiple people are mentally
engaged.

But whenever we have been discussing something here, I've drawn my
examples out of thin air, because examples from the projects I've been
working on would have taken too much explanation. If I had the
explanation already online in the form of a blog, I could just
reference it.

A website can serve as "sticky" knowledge. It doesn't have to be a blog. A blog will tend to bury anything you did previously under anything you're doing now. I know my own website sucks, but I've decided that when I revamp it, it's not going to be a blog. Rather, it'll be a focused, well-indexed showcase of my best content. I really feel that blogs are about quantity, not quality.

I don't think that you would have more patience for me
posting my design notes here than posting them on a blog...

If they are very long, probably not. My experience from running gamedesign-l and participating in several forums, is that people don't have the patience to respond to a huge overwhelming thesis. There comes a point at which one's problem is too specific and intricate to one's own concerns. If things get that long, it's better to post a working implementation on a website and then have a forum where people can ask questions about it. Or bring it up for discussion in forums, at "more typical" volume levels.

Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

20% of the world is real.