Re: blog demerits

On 6/1/05, Brandon J. Van Every <vanevery@indiegamedesign.com> wrote:
> Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> >>>
> >>That's pretty much the raison d'etre of a blog.
> >But whenever we have been discussing something here, I've drawn my
> >examples out of thin air, because examples from the projects I've been
> >working on would have taken too much explanation. If I had the
> >explanation already online in the form of a blog, I could just
> >reference it.
> >
> A website can serve as "sticky" knowledge.  It doesn't have to be a
> blog.

True. But I already write these diary-style notes; making a website
that explains my design more in the way of an encyclopedia, say, would
be much more work and wouldn't reflect my pondering of the open issues
right, I think.

> A blog will tend to bury anything you did previously under
> anything you're doing now.

Hmm. My original inspiration for this -- Chris' LMD design diary --
was sort of a blog, but with only the titles of the entries as links
and in chronological (rather than reverse chronological) order:

http://erasmatazz.com/library/Le_Morte_DArthur/Index.html

I think this helps already. Hmm. I think I will create a diary, but
give it some sort of structure more like a static website, to make it
easier to read about specific points without reading the whole history
-- I'll have to figure out the details as I go.

> I know my own website sucks, but I've
> decided that when I revamp it, it's not going to be a blog.  Rather,
> it'll be a focused, well-indexed showcase of my best content.  I really
> feel that blogs are about quantity, not quality.

I enjoy reading good blogs. I enjoy reading good non-blog websites. *shrug*

> >I don't think that you would have more patience for me
> >posting my design notes here than posting them on a blog...
> >

> If they are very long, probably not.

I'm not intending to publish long essays, but many of them: all my
design notes, very simply.

In any case, I've decided that I *will* do this, so I should get to
work on it. :-)

- Benja