Re: Interactive storytelling and me; and a challenge

Quoting "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@indiegamedesign.com>:

> I think I'd rather have my AIs generate art assets, ala procedural
> modeling.  If an AI could do it decently, then the results are "known to
> be saleable."  Seems like visual art generation would be a lot easier
> than story generation.  Crap just has to look interesting.

This is a pretty silly statement since the quest for automated art is about as
long and successful as the quest for automated story or the quest for automated
music.

Glassner in his Interactive Storytelling book points out the responsibilities
of the author and reader and points out that interactive storytelling violates
these responsibilities by asking people without real training as writers and
storytellers to take on the roles of writers and storytellers. You can
substitute artist and viewer above and apply this thought to visual art or
musician and listener for music as well.

Art of any sort is difficult and often takes decades to master before one can
actually create 'art' of any sort. Machines will never 'create' art or story or
music of any significance because humans create significant art and story and
music for human needs. Heck, the visual aspect of visual art barely exists
these days simply because of the function of 'art' these days. Art isn't
something which matches the couch any more.

-Thom