Re: Too Much reality?

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Morbus Iff wrote:
> I wanted to create a game where I convinced the players that it was so
> real that they actually believed it. If there character ever died, well,
> then they would die too.  Was a great idea, but it never got off the
> ground.

The military does this every day. It's called "Boot Camp". Yes, there are
some risks, but that first step off the bus when the drill sargeant gets
in the face of the new recruits is all about creating an alternate
reality, one where people believe the most ridiculous things ("Dying for
oil is glorious") and act based on them.

There are also quite a few alternative therapy techniques which create an
alternate set of rules very effectively, and cults are very good at this.

Have you read "The Magus" by John Fowles? Awesome exploration into how we
perceive our reality.

Dan