Re: Several points

>Second, you guys keep tripping up on a common
>problem: the crucial difference between story
>and storytelling. You can't interact with a story.

Technically true, in the same sense that you can say a driver doesn't really
"step on the brakes" but instead steps on a pedal that controls a hydraulic
system that actuates the brakes. But I prefer to be a little bit inaccurate
and speak of "interactive story" and "interacting with the story" anyway.
Here's why.

Interaction with the storyteller can occur whether or not those interactions
are affecting the story in an interesting or significant way (e.g. altering
the plot). Computer adventure games, for example, are interactive
storytellers in that they _reveal_ a story through interactive game play.
There's no reason not to call this "interactive storytelling" -- after all,
it's interactive and it's telling a story -- but we need a way to distinguish
that situation from a process in which the interaction with the storyteller
is signficiantly shaping the story itself. Thus, I would normally say that in
the first case the _story_ is not interactive and in the second case, it is.
"Interactive story" requires "interactive telling" but the reverse is not
true. A typical computer game is "interactive telling" but not "interactive
story." If we can't call any story interactive ever, it's much harder to make
this crucial distinction.

- Walt