Chris, I think I get it!

At 8:49 -0800 1/31/01, Chris Crawford wrote:
>You can't create an interactive "Romeo and Juliet", because that
>story has already been frozen. You can create an interactive
>storyworld demonstrating how family loyalties, interfamily
>rivalries, group hatred, and young love all interrelate. "Romeo and
>Juliet" would be one possible outcome of the playing of such a
>storyworld -- but there would be many other possible outcomes.

I think I finally get what you're saying.

You're saying that when you interact with a system, that system is
not the story.. the end result of your interaction is the story.
Thus, interaction might PRODUCE a story, but doesn't really
"interact" with it.

So, for instance, you might interact with a storyteller, causing that
storyteller to tell a different story.. but since that story doesn't
exist until it's told, you can't really interact with it.. you're
really just aiding in its creation/authorship.

Is that it?

-ToastyKen

| Kenneth Lu - kenlu@mit.edu - http://www.mit.edu/~kenlu/ |
| "Life is far too important to be taken seriously."      |
|                                          -- Oscar Wilde |