Re: Getting Beyond 'Reptilian Emotions'

 From that reptilian article, talking about the upcoming MMO version
of The Sims:

>''People will do things for free that they won't do for money,''
>said Sean Baity, a writer with the game's developer, Maxis. But, he
>added, that raises a tricky question: ''When the user starts being
>really creative, who owns the final product?''

That ties in directly with what Jason has been talking about.. about
the audience becoming co-authors.. and in a much more integral way
than with, say, fan fiction.

I don't know.. I'm still kind of uncomfortable with the idea of the
audience having so much control.  I guess I've been really infleunced
by Photopia, and the way it uses interaction merely as a tool to
manipulate the audience. :)  I like having my authorial control! :)

I mean, even with simulations, I tend to think of them in terms of
how the author sets up the situations..

I dunno. I guess I need to try to think harder about what
storytelling means in a world where the audience are also authors.

-ToastyKen

| Kenneth Lu - kenlu@mit.edu - http://www.mit.edu/~kenlu/ |
| "Life is far too important to be taken seriously."      |
|                                          -- Oscar Wilde |