Film Noir Simulation

Here's this game idea I have.  I doubt whatever I end up making will
actually be like this, but it's sort of a thought experiment, I
guess..

I was trying to figure out how to make a simulation game about
people, well, interesting, plotwise.  I was also trying to figure out
how to turn this into an actual game, instead of just something to
watch.

So imagine a world of mobsters, crooked cops, members of high
society, temptresses, and private eyes..  The characters would be
written to have a random assortment of motivations, such as money,
revenge, lust, loyalty.. and they'd thus each having goal(s) they
want to reach.. and they'd have to reach these goals through
relationships with other characters.. altogether ending up in a big
web of deals and betrayals..

This simulation runs for a bit, and a murder happens.  In comes the
player, a detective.  He can try to interact with the world and just
try to make money, or whatever.. but his stated goal will be to solve
the murder.. to unravel the web of interactions that led to the
murder, and find out who the killer was and why they did it.

This would thus make the complexity of the interactions key to the
gameplay.. and it would provide a way of looking at the simulation in
a very restrict way (from the POV of the detective) and thus make the
nature of the simulation itself precisely what the player is
interested in.

I haven't really thought about the details or feasibility of this at
all, and I'm certain this isn't something I'd come even close to
within a few years.. but there's my idea, anyway.

What do y'all think?

-ToastyKen

| Kenneth Lu - kenlu@mit.edu - http://www.mit.edu/~kenlu/ |
| "Life is far too important to be taken seriously."      |
|                                          -- Oscar Wilde |