Re: Film Noir Simulation (Kyle's message)

Kyle, your message set off certain alarms in my mind that I usually interpret
as meaning "someone has just told me something very important, but I haven't
understood it properly."

Could you explain further the nature of the paradox you refer to?

Meanwhile, let me see if I can pick at a few threads...

>This is not quite the same thing as what you described, about giving game
>players explicit subgoals that accomplish, through their interactions, an
>overarching goal - but these approaches have a lot in common, and they share
>a common limitation, one not too hard to point to.   They make sense within
>a restricted reality, one in which we are likely to miss the messy richness
>of the real world.

I was referring to current styles of computer game design, not because we
should emulate them but because I wanted to point out that some progress
_has_ been made in game narrative since the days when coin slot video arcade
games set the pace for game design.

I'm not sure that losing some of the messy richness of the real world is a
bad thing. I think this is a quality of almost all narrative; indeed, perhaps
of all craft. "Simplification:" it takes fewer bits of data to codify the
movements of the dancers in a ballet than to codify the movements of the
shoppers in a supermarket; fewer bits to codify the notes of a symphony than
the sounds of a city street. In literature high and low, the snow always
melts promptly on the first day of spring. Would adding a more realistic
weather model be an improvement?

>It seems that there is something not so straightforward about the
>ingredients of a lifelike story experience.  As in real life, things are
>seldom what they appear to be.  People know themselves to be something
>other
>than what they show to the world, for a multitude of reasons, not simply
>cosmetic ones.  If they know each other well, this sort of illusion does
>not
>really fool them, and yet covertly, they continually strive to confound
>one
>another's expectations.  They are not simply expressing irony; they
>sometimes seem almost paradox-driven.  "I am more than I can possibly show
>you, but I can at least surprise you with glimpses."

This would appear to tie into, in ways I can't yet define, some thoughts I've
had recently concerning the nature of metaphor. Specifically, why is a
metaphor presented in great detail, such as over the course of a novel, more
evocative than a brief and vague one? One might think that a vague metaphor
would express broad ideas by allowing the reader's mind to use its
associative powers to the fullest, while a metaphor with all the details
already filled in could express only a narrow specific idea. Yet if anything,
the opposite appears to be true. It's as though the more detail we receive,
the more those details seem to be only glimpses of an even larger truth. The
same could certainly be true of characters: the more we know about them, the
more about them appears to be hidden, and the larger the totality, seen and
unseen, of the character becomes.

But is "real-world messiness" a good source of such detail? It certainly is
for real-world people. But I wonder if fictional characters are similarly
deepened by real-world messiness, or whether the detail that broadens them
must come from narrative artifice, as it does for metaphor.

>Maybe it is simply a matter of the author's skill and artfulness that takes
>an interaction beyond the realm of mere ambiguity and presents the audience
>with true paradox.  If that's what it comes down to, then this paradoxical
>character is a mark of excellence...

>So my sense of this problem is that if we are hoping to tell a lifelike
>story, or to enable others to take part in telling or acting out anything
>lifelike, we cannot approach excellence without a strong sense of that
>paradoxical nature at the heart of what truly grabs us.

"Lifelike" is not the adjective I'd use here since I think narrative is often
not lifelike, but I _think_ we're close to agreeing on some key points here.

- Walt