Re: Introduction/Griffin+Sabine

Hi Wally.  Welcome.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wally" <wally@sub-zero.mit.edu>

> My area
> was music, working with a grad student on systems for interactive
> composition/arrangement of scores for our digital worlds.

I work in a media venture environment in Vancouver-- one of our new ventures
is involved in this very field.  Very cool stuff.

The association between image and text needn't be a
> one-to-one correspondence, or even a continuous narrative flow; rather,
> the words and images pass by each other, creating a mood. I'm thinking of
> MTV at this point, to be honest: impressions of meaning which grow in the
> viewer's (user's, reader's) mind, rather than a strict narrative
> flow.

YES.

I personally am involved in the development of a cinematic story-telling
language-- my first impression is that you are hitting the nail on the head
here.

Something to think about:  Textual story-telling is a dynamic experience to
the extent that the experience lives discretely in the brain of the
individual audience member.  There is an internal reactive (not interactive)
generation of cinema in such an instance.  Each individual reader creates an
individual visio/audio worldscape-- (which is why the film is invariably
disappointing: "that's not how he's supposed to look!" etc.)

The endless pursuit of immersiveness and verisimilitude will continue.
However, there is an auxiliary (and interim?) path to interactive story that
is predicated upon the abstraction of the story and subsequent creation of a
rich environment conducive to individual imagination.

You might think of it this way:

Book: Has plot -- you generate the cinema
MTV: Has cinema -- you generate the plot

I am sure I'm not the only person to approach interactive story by the means
of abstraction and the use of broad stokes-- although I am not currently
aware of other projects afoot that approach it from the cinematic direction.

--

   ::jason.joel.thompson::
   ::founder::

    ::wild.ghost.studios | www.wildghost.com