"Heart"

At 12:33 -0700 4/10/01, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>  > Is this the "heart" that has been mentioned?
>
>Not IMO.  IMO the "heart" is how the author glues everything together,
>regardless of whether it's morality or description or dialogue or whatever.

I see this "heart" issue as "issues of high complexity that are
difficult (or impossible) to understand in a systematic and formal
way, but that human writers can manipulate through intuition."  I see
intuition as bascially the ability to work with things with
appearantly insufficient data through the use of all those little
tidbits of knowledge that you hold subconsciously.  We often do
things because "it seems right", without a deep formal understanding
of what we're doing.  I argue that most art require heavy use of my
definition of "intuition"...  Yes, artists (in any medium) usually do
have some formal understanding of the craft as well, but what gives a
work "heart" is the use of intuition.

Why is intuition necessary?  Because the artform is often too complex
to understand formally completely.  We have some level of music
theory about harmonics and suchs.. and we have some level of
understanding of graphic design what looks pleasant and unpleasant to
the eye, but we do not understand music and visual art fully.  We
don't understand them well enough to be able to mathematically define
what is good and what is bad.  Thus, we need human intuition to come
into play..  The human mind is particularly good at recognizing
patterns, and we use it to recognize, vaguely, the "what is good art"
pattern.. We then use that intuition to create art, hoping that our
intuition does not fail us.  When it doesn't, we say that that person
has artistic talent.  What we really mean when we say that is that
that person has a good intuitive grasp on what works in the medium,
and what connects well with the audience.

(And yes.. that of course is a bit part of why it takes intuition:
The importances of making a work that connects with the audience..
Human thoughts and emotions.. what better domain to illustrate a
place where human intuition currently works far better than formal
analysis?)

Anyway, that's how I see the issue of "heart".  I'm not saying it's
impossible for a computer to express "heart", by any means.. but I do
think that the issues involved and so complex.. and so far away from
formal understanding, that, as of yet, only people can even dream of
doing it.

-ToastyKen

| Kenneth Lu - kenlu@mit.edu - http://www.mit.edu/~kenlu/ |
| "Life is far too important to be taken seriously."      |
|                                          -- Oscar Wilde |