RE: Interactive Drama: Why I've lost interest

Howdy,

I must say I think you guys are missing the point.  Or more diplomatically,
the point I see in interactive drama is different than where you guys seem
to be coming from.

I don't want stories written by computer. Nor do I want the player/user to
write the stories.  Both of those seem uninteresting problems.

What I do want is for a player to be able to be in an interactive context,
where their actions have meaningful results and the system manages the
experience so that the resulting experience tracks along a well-formed story
arc.  So the player can do anything they want, and as long as they aren't
acting schizophrenically or intentionally acting inconsistently, the result
goes through a good story: introduction, complication, climax and resolution
driving by their own interests and motivations.  They get the emotional
power and engagement of a good story while being the interactive lead
protagonist.

I agree with some of the negative comments, especially that many of the
folks chasing interactive drama are committed to technology for technology's
sake. I think more importantly, almost everyone I've talked to has a flawed
model of story.  [And I've made a focused effort to learn the latest
thinking in the game and academic communities: I've published a paper at the
2002 Technologies for Interactive Digital Storytelling, attended the 2003
International Conference on Virtual Storytelling, and both attended and
spoken at a few AAAI conferences on the matter, and of course gone to many
GDC sessions].

I also agree with Brandon that studying STORY is a prerequisite that most
people working/dabbling in this area ignore. There are several multi-billion
industries that generate a lot of value by delivering high quality stories.
There is much to be learned there, from Aristotle through to Robert McKee.
I also believe in the primacy of the author... the computer aint going to do
it; but if you give a writer good tools, I believe they can craft an
interactive "product" that delivers good story.

Unfortunately, many of the people writing top-notch stories understand it at
an unconscious level. You see or read a good story and you can recognize it
immediately, you don't need to have a formal understanding or representation
of the story to appreciate or to write in that fashion.  I would also say
that most of those who have mastered the art of writing and DO have a
conscious, formal understanding, are busy enjoying that craft and making
their livelihood at it: they aren't looking for computers to reinvent what
they know so well. Especially as the vast majority of them don't grok
computers and programming the way they do story.

However, for a computer to manage the story experience, you have to encode
exactly what you mean by the "story" in a way that it can work with it.  You
need a formal representation.

_Romeo & Juliet_ is the same "story" as _West Side Story_ on some level.
Clearly, offering variability while maintaining that type of core story is
critical to interactive drama. And yet, there are very few systems out there
that are even attempting this kind of structured story management, and none
(other than ours) that is using what I would consider a viable definition of
story.  [Apologies for the plug; we don't have our system working, but we do
like our approach.]

Instead, you see discussions of branching decision trees or nodal plot
graphs or "steering" the player back onto the intended plotline.  Stories
aren't the sequence of "plot" events any more than they are defined by a
sequence of words or images on the screen.  And yet that is how many many
people are thinking about them. Once you strip away a particular
manifestation of story, a particular interpretation in a particular medium,
I believe you can define the core story elements in a way a computer can
work with, so you can consistently generate experiences that feel like a
good story.  A good author is required to craft that core story and an
as-yet unbuilt system has to find a way to deliver it to the player.

It's a hard problem, but I believe strongly that it really is just a matter
of time until someone finds a way to make it work.

-j

--
Joe Andrieu
joe@andrieu.net