Re: Interactive Drama: Why I've lost interest

Joe Andrieu wrote :
[...]

What I do want is for a player to be able to be in an interactive context,
where their actions have meaningful results and the system manages the
experience so that the resulting experience tracks along a well-formed story
arc.  So the player can do anything they want, and as long as they aren't
acting schizophrenically or intentionally acting inconsistently, the result
goes through a good story: introduction, complication, climax and resolution
driving by their own interests and motivations.  They get the emotional
power and engagement of a good story while being the interactive lead
protagonist.

--> I understand your position, but still, I would be more careful: It is almost sure that the "result" of Interactive Drama will not go through a good story, as defined with linear stories. Yet, these interactive drama will be engaging. When narrative becomes interactive, things change, and it is good news: we do not have to make systems which implement all subtelties of human story writing. Which narrative features are common to non interactive narrative and interactive narrative, and which ones are different? I don't know yet... So I also target a good story as a result, but I am aware that the solution is elsewhere...

I agree with some of the negative comments, especially that many of the
folks chasing interactive drama are committed to technology for technology's
sake. I think more importantly, almost everyone I've talked to has a flawed
model of story.  [And I've made a focused effort to learn the latest
thinking in the game and academic communities: I've published a paper at the
2002 Technologies for Interactive Digital Storytelling, attended the 2003
International Conference on Virtual Storytelling, and both attended and
spoken at a few AAAI conferences on the matter, and of course gone to many
GDC sessions].

--> At this point, it would be great to give details about these "flawed models of story"... and what is a "non flawed model of story" (maybe the end of your post is the answer...)

Unfortunately, many of the people writing top-notch stories understand it at
an unconscious level. You see or read a good story and you can recognize it
immediately, you don't need to have a formal understanding or representation
of the story to appreciate or to write in that fashion.  I would also say
that most of those who have mastered the art of writing and DO have a
conscious, formal understanding, are busy enjoying that craft and making
their livelihood at it: they aren't looking for computers to reinvent what
they know so well. Especially as the vast majority of them don't grok
computers and programming the way they do story.

--> The situation is still more complex, to my opinion: Even if those authors who both write great stories and are conscious of the mechanisms behind would provide some inputs to Interactive Drama system, I believe that it would be unsufficient: Being involved in programming a system which generate narrative actions on the fly, I realize that there is plenty of knowledge about storywriting that is not formalized just because this knowledge is obvious!! Obvious for a human being, not for a computer...

[...]
Instead, you see discussions of branching decision trees or nodal plot
graphs or "steering" the player back onto the intended plotline.  Stories
aren't the sequence of "plot" events any more than they are defined by a
sequence of words or images on the screen.  And yet that is how many many
people are thinking about them. Once you strip away a particular
manifestation of story, a particular interpretation in a particular medium,
I believe you can define the core story elements in a way a computer can
work with, so you can consistently generate experiences that feel like a
good story.  A good author is required to craft that core story and an
as-yet unbuilt system has to find a way to deliver it to the player.

It's a hard problem, but I believe strongly that it really is just a matter
of time until someone finds a way to make it work.

I also fight the idea of "steering the player back onto the intended plotline" even if I believe that this approach can provide interesting results in the short/middle term.
Yes, it is a hard problem... I have been working five years on it, and I have produced a working system. It is far from perfect, the narrative experience is still bugged, but by playing with it, I think that one now understands that such "real" Interactive Drama is feasible.

Nicolas Szilas

www.idtension.com

--
Dr Nicolas Szilas