You don't know Jack about Harry

The Harry Gottlieb I was referring to is the guy who created JellyVision.com which is the company which created 'You Don't Know Jack' years ago and won a award at GDC even though Harry never considered what he did a game. On their web site they have the Jack Principles which I've used in class for the past 6 years simply because the principles work very well for what Harry calls 'interactive conversational interfaces ( iCis as opposed to Guis -- it is an sound pun but that is how Harry plays (JellyVision as opposed to TellyVision ) We had Harry out here once to speak where he was to speak for 20-30 minutes but spoke for over an hour and not a soul stirred. I have this talk on DV tape and with luck will eventually get this online because Harry is worth the price of admission and attention. Harry definitely think that what he does is interactive conversation. he definitely has a business model which is exceptionally successful but it is the complete opposite to the idea of generated entertainment. Harry's backgound is not in computer science it is in theater, radio, television and film. JellyVision use a computational combinatorial approach when it is appropriate but they very much script out their work. I think they do this because they can, they have a training which most don't. [ The other person worth looking at is Bates with his Dramatic Presence paper which I also think is a model for how iDrama and iStory can work effective in a very mixed environment. ]

Harry agreed to do a weekend workshop at IU on iCi design. Normally a weekend workshop is where the instructor attempts to shorten the workshop with the students complete help as much as possible but Harry in not your normal instructor or thinker. Saturday was long and Sunday was even longer and then harry decided that more work was needed so he gave the students a really big assignment to design their own iCi and said he'd come back for another weekend. Harry made the normal weekend workshop over twice as long as a normal weekend workshop. Way past 1 credit worth in terms of time but this was really deep learning so most of the students didn't blink. They did the work; Harry came back and then really threw them and myself for a loop when he decided we still weren't done and we should extend the class into the spring term which we did and Harry cam back again. We lost a couple of students at this point but we were at true believer stage by then so the folks remaining were in high gear. And, again harry said we were not done. he gave more assignments and we agreed that the class would travel to Chicago and present their work at JellyVision. I'm sure all the students in that class would say that that experience with harry was the deepest learning experience in their lives - I wasn't 'in' the class but it was one of the deepest learning experiences in my life. But, the thing was is that the idea of the iCi and this sort of software design as theater was the the real hook. That room had musicians, artists, storytellers, programmers and instructional designers, all working at very high levels of design. Computational combinatorials are part of iCi designer but it isn't the driving force which means the entire room does not rotate around the programmers. The artists aren't their to decorate and the writers aren't their as meat puppets. They have jobs to do at various stages and the iCi only works when the entire room works. This is the same way that orchestras, theaters, film, and tv have worked for decades; it is how humans work to get jobs done.

JellyVision has been and is doing iStory and iDrama with the BIG I. The company is worth a look, the Principles are worth reading and seriously thinking about and if you ever get a chance to hear Harry talk, to talk with Harry or be in a class Harry teaches do it. He is also a really nice person.

--thom