Re: ART vs. DRAMA

Thom Kevin Gillespie wrote:

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

If the artist is there it is ART

So it shouldn't be difficult for you to understand how http://www.random-art.org/ is also 'real ART'. The artists, in this case, are those who vote on the works and thereby advance or diminish their merit. The randomness is most explictly being accepted or rejected, that's half the point of the site. A site that presented only random images with no selection would probably bore us.

This doesn't sound random. Sounds like lots of picking and rejecting is going on.

My point exactly. The raw materials are algorithmically random. The final displayed products are definitely the product of human aesthetic judgement.

I'm pretty sure you objected stridently to http://www.random-art.org earlier as 'mere decoration' when Mark brought it up. I could be mistaken as to the nature of your objection. In any event, I would still like your definition of 'decoration', as it is core to either our different views, or to our ongoing miscommunication, case may be.

Brandon ART or art, DRAMA or drama?

There seem to be 2 concerns here.

- ART vs. art, which seems to be a distinction between so-called good art and so-called bad art.

- real art vs. not real art, which seems to be whether the label 'art' should be applied at all.

'decoration' seems to be your term for 'bad art'. But I'd like you to be the one to define it.

DRAMA I'll leave aside until we get ART sorted out.

Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

20% of the world is real.