Re: ART vs. DRAMA

David Galiel wrote:

What a silly discussion, all about who "wins" and who can "beat" the "opponent" - so much of what motivates game design these days.

Lacking an antecedant, I'm very confused about what you're talking about. This seems to be your subjective impression of a discussion, rather than words actually quoted from a discussion. In particular, I thought Thom and I were debating ART, not game design.

Instead, after chastising Mark for being strident,

I don't think that's what I chastized Mark for, and I didn't single him out either.

you are doing the exact same thing, Brandon, shouting people down

Who's shouting?

There is no right or wrong here, there is only opinion, point of view, and intent.

I thought that's exactly what Thom and I were discussing, just now.

The rest is a useless flame war.

It seems you don't like the discussion for some reason. Whatever. Not really my problem. I don't see how Thom and I are currently flaming each other, we are just debating our different points of view.

This is why I don't bother to participate in discussions here anymore, like so many others that I know lurk and hope to learn in the interstices between the bombast.

There is so much opportunity for everyone to gain in a win-win situation, if certain folks here would stop trying to control and dictate the conversation, and just let people freely exchange ideas in a spirit of sharing and learning.

Um, I don't see that I'm stopping you from anything. Maybe you think I'm posting too much and being a bit of a list hog. That may be partly true, but on the other hand, it's incumbent upon others to actually post and actually keep a discussion going. I don't worry about people who remain quiet and then complain every once in awhile about how it's not going their way. Those people need to take a more active role in discussion / debate if they want things to go their way. I can do you the favor of shutting up long enough to let you get your points across, if you want to make some, but don't expect me to just disappear or something.

Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

20% of the world is real.