Business models and eye candy

Ok, I think I'm personally ready to skip past the opinionating about ART and all of that. I'm more interested in what it would take to actually sell iDrama, in some form, to some people. As a game developer I have a bias that eye candy is needed to do this. As an indie game developer, I have an aversion to AAA production values and giant teams of 3D animators. I am curious what approaches, if any, people have contemplated to put an attractive eye candy veneer of 'decoration' upon an iDrama product. 2D still artwork, photos, and Macromedia-style approaches seem obvious 'low rent' candidates. A critically if not commercially successful example of such an approach would be King Of Dragon Pass. http://www.a-sharp.com Also I have a growing interest in programmer generated 3D objects, seeing as how Will Wright is poised to make successful use of such approaches in "Spore." http://gonshaw.net/musings/2005/musing_03_16_05.htm It's not iDrama, but it's a world that iDrama could take place in. Will is very much trying to attack the problem of AAA production values having become ridiculous.

There's a startup that thinks it's going to do IF on cellphones using a combo of voice synthesis and canned recordings.
http://www.ifbyphone.com Audio-only is one way to get away from the eye candy problem, although it brings its own tremendous difficulties.

I'm thinking that without a dramatic audiovisual stage to play out its parts, iDrama might be DOA as far as consumers are concerned. Anyone want to debate that? I think taking audio and visuals seriously as part of the iDrama production process will probably change the medium quite a bit. Anyone care to debate that?

Cheers, www.indiegamedesign.com Brandon Van Every Seattle, WA

T-shirt that landed someone a job:  "I'm not an asshole,
I'm a Shaper!"  http://www.teams.org.uk/shaper.htm