apologies, and a restart

Seems I misinterpreted a first comment after the last flamefest, Brandon, as being more of the same. By the time my rant posted, you had offered a slew of additional comments that made clear that you were not personalizing the discussion as our previous flamer had.
Apologies for fanning unnecessarily.

Not that it is an excuse, but I'm sure I'm not the only one on this list that wishes there were a more respectful culture of discourse here (in fact, repeated private email exchanges with half-a-dozen different list-members over the years tells me I am not the only one). In my opinion, the reason this list died is not that we don't have anything interesting to talk about, it is that there was only one type of conversation that went on here, and it is not one that many of us value.

You are correct that it is up to those who wish to discuss broader topics to bring them up. However, it is also true that, for those of us who have been on this list for years, previous attempt to broaden the discussion beyond "generated" story as in man- vs machine, to "mediated" story, as in using technology to facilitate drama among living people, has been strongly resisted and even shouted down (despite the fact that the one facet of this arena that is actually working and engaging large numbers of people all over the place today, in practice not just theory, is people-to-people virtual environments, and the thing that is hooking people is not the stupid NPC vendors and foes, but rather the other actual humans that make those spaces come, literally, alive).

Guess that made me oversensitive in this case. I care about this field, I have made it my life's work, and I have had many productive discussions and developed many productive relationships one-on-one off-list; but I have yet to participate in a many-to-many discussion in this industry that doesn't degrade into intolerant know-it-alls telling everyone else what is and what isn't, and what may or may not be discussed. I am most certainly NOT trying to tell you what to talk about or how much to talk about it. I just wish every single creative sentiment expressed on this list were not met with an engineering mindset.

iDrama, after all, is not just "i", it is also "Drama". For those who think they can just engineer a good story, or that good storytelling is just an algorithm, you are missing 5/6's of the title.