RE: Interactive Drama: Why I've lost interest

Brandon J. Van Every writes:
> I find the idea that 'story' is or should produce 'better social
> experiences' bizzare.

That's fair, and given that I still read a lot, and even watch the
occasional movie, I guess that was a slightly unfair cop.

On the other hand, stories are what pass along the myths of the
culture, and some of my reading is exploring a shared culture and
finding common references; it's hard to hang out with hardcore
sysadmins, for instance, without having a good base in Terry
Pratchett. And many of the better erotic writers online supplement
their work with forums that provide that human contact.

> Yet the whole game industry is in love with this idea of getting
> players to tell their own stories to each other.  I believe this is
> because the vast majority of people in the game industry don't know
> how to write.

One of the things I am interested in pursuing is exploring the various
tools and technologies around "weblogging". This is, in essence,
people telling their own stories, but I find lots of writing that's
far more compelling (and informed and intelligent) than what I can
find commercially in that sphere.

So, I guess to some extent I've abandoned the notion of the computer
mediated storytelling because I find the live humans on the web more
interesting.

Dan