Re: toning down some

Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 12:54:53PM -0700 in <42A89E8D.7090608@indiegamedesign.com>,
Brandon J. Van Every <vanevery@indiegamedesign.com> spake:
>Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes wrote:
>> Saying "This guy's great!  You're not!" means nothing, and does not
>>make you look big and scary.  You need to study what interactivity is,
>>how to create games using it, and then try to post something explaining
>>what you've learned, okay?
>Although I agree with many (most? all?) of your points, this is
>nevertheless the juncture at which, if this were a moderatred list, and
>we were applying rules such as appear at
>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gamedesign-l, I'd be asking you to
>voluntarily de-escalate the flammage.  It is important for a list to
>remain intellectually productive.  An inflammatory comment *can* be
>intellectually productive, but often isn't.  Since nobody's actually in
>charge here, perhaps we could all do some self-assessment of what's at
>stake for us, and why we feel a need to carry on in certain veins.  I
>would hardly single you out, Mark, as several of us are doing it to
>various degrees.

  I tend to respond bluntly and point it out when someone's obviously
playing social dominance games instead of dealing with the subject.  I
can't tell right now if Thom's trolling or simply inexperienced and
posturing to hide that fact.  If he's underinformed but enthusiastic
about the subject anyway, he'll knock it off and try to post about
interactive drama instead of just naming random names.  If he's
trolling, he won't.

  I'll try to be nicer, but while I'm a helpful and generous guy, it's
not really in my nature to be too gentle.

--
"I think [Robert Heinlein] would take it kindly if we were all to refrain from
 abandoning civilization as a failed experiment that requires too much hard